COVID Tests now conducted at admission.
Patients who are coming to the Mater Hospital will have a rapid antigen test (RAT) conducted at the time of their admission. Patients no longer need to have a test done prior to their admission.
Information for visitors
General Wards: Up to two (2) visitors at a time. Visiting hours are 10:30am - 8:00pm.
Visitors must wear a mask at all times. Children under 12 are not required to wear a mask. See below for additional COVID restrictions in place.
Maternity: Up to two (2) visitors* at a time. Visiting hours are 3:00pm - 5:00pm and 6:00pm - 8:00pm. Partners are permitted at any time.
*Siblings not included in number of visitors. Visitors must wear a mask at all times. Children under 12 are not required to wear a mask. Admittance to Special Care Nursery is open only to parents. See below for additional COVID restrictions in place.
Visitors must wear a mask a at times and will be screened on entry. Visitors must follow the advice of healthcare staff at all times.
You cannot visit the hospital if:
- You are unwell
- You have been diagnosed with COVID-19 or asked to quarantine
- You have returned from overseas in the last 7 days
- You have had contact with a person with COVID-19 in the last 7 days
- You have been tested for COVID-19 and are waiting to receive the results (except for tests due to surveillance testing obligations), or have tested positive to COVID-19 within the last 10 days.
- You have COVID-19 symptoms of fever (37.5 degrees or more), cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, loss of smell or taste, runny nose, diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting or fatigue
Visitor Exemption Requests
If you feel you should be granted an exemption for compassionate reasons, please submit the below form.
Exemptions can be made on compassionate grounds (end-of-life), for patients under 18 years of age, or patients with a disability requiring a support person. Exceptions need to be approved by the CEO, Director of Clinical Services, Deputy Director of Clinical Services or After-hours Director of Nursing. Please refer to our exemption request form below.
A support person may remain with a patient and is not restricted to visitor restrictions if they are a carer for a child under the age of 18, a carer for a patient with a disability, or to provide end of life care. To be approved by the Nurse Unit Manager or After Hours Director of Nursing.
When you arrive
- Prior to entry, all hospital visitors are required to scan the QR code using your mobile device (note we do not use the Service NSW app) when you arrive at the hospital entrance. If you do not own a smartphone one of our friendly Mater Hospital staff will be happy to assist you.
- Outpatients attending doctor appointments in the Mater Clinic, Mater Imaging or Genesis do not need to check-in with the hospital.
- After completing the form, present to our reception desk.
When you enter the hospital, you will need to continue to exercise social distancing by keeping 1.5m from others and clean your hands regularly using soap and water or the alcohol-based hand rub provided.
All patients and visitors are strongly encouraged to download and read our information pamphlet on understanding and avoiding the COVID-19 virus.