Melbourne Registered Nurse Graduate Program
Our Program DOWNLOAD NOW
The Graduate Nursing Program at St Vincent’s Private Hospital Melbourne educates and supports new registered nurse graduates to develop confidence, professionalism and clinical expertise, whilst providing experience in a diverse and challenging range of speciality nursing environments. We are committed to developing your career and ensuring that your graduate year will be an exciting and rewarding experience.
When you join St Vincent’s Private Hospital Melbourne, you will work at one or more of our four locations across Melbourne: Fitzroy, East Melbourne, Kew and Werribee
Aims of the program
We recognise that as a nursing student you may have had limited opportunities to explore different clinical areas. Our program is designed to allow you to explore these opportunities so that in the future you will have a better understanding of where you would like to focus your nursing career and consolidate your nursing skills.
Our program will:
• offer you a wide range of rotation options so that you gain comprehensive clinical experience
• enable you to use your knowledge to achieve quality patient outcomes
• increase your confidence and strengthen your skills base
• develop your ability to work independently and as a team member
• enhance your decision making and critical thinking skills
• create a supportive environment for you to enjoy your nursing car
What does the program entail?
The St Vincent’s Private Melbourne registered nurse graduate program is conducted across our four hospital locations and graduates will rotate across the different campuses.
• The 12 month program provides you with the opportunity to tailor your individual program and explore 2 x 6 month rotations in clinical areas you wish to gain experience in.
(You do not require undergraduate experience in your nominated clinical areas of interest).
• The choice of Part time (8 shifts/fortnight) or Full time (10 shifts/fortnight) hours
• A comprehensive orientation program introduces you to St Vincent’s Private
• During your graduate year you will be supported with paid study days
• Access to our Wellbeing Coordinator for one-on-one support or clinical debriefing
• A dedicated Graduate Coordinator and Graduate Clinical Coach support team
General Ward Rotations
• Haematology and Oncology
• Colorectal and Upper Gastrointestinal Disease
• Acute Neurosciences
• Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
• General Surgery
• Ear Nose and Throat
• Coronary Care and Cardiac Services
• Day Procedure Unit
• Intensive Care
• Theatre - Peri-operative & PACU
• Cardiac & Vascular Catheter Laboratory
• Special Care Nursery
• Post-Natal Ward
The Education team at St Vincent’s Private are confident that you will have the support you need to achieve your goals. Our education team are hands on and are willing to assist you.
Our graduates receive extensive clinical support on each rotation as we have a dedicated graduate coordinator and graduate clinical coaches that work alongside the specialty and ward based clinical coaches, all who provide hands on bedside clinical support and education in a friendly and supportive manner.
You will be allocated a preceptor on each rotation that will also work alongside you to facilitate your learning and transition as a registered nurse .
On your first ward rotation you will receive supernumery time and then a graduated workload to assist you in the transition to registered nurse. You will receive additional supernumerary time for speciality rotations.
We offer extensive education programs, including paid study days, access to ward based education, twilight seminars and short courses.
Application Details APPLY HERE
We welcome applications from all universities throughout Australia and New Zealand. You don’t have to have completed a clinical placement with us to apply.
Applications for our 2024 Graduate Registered Nurse Program recruitment for late vacancy applications is now open.
Applications must be submitted through St Vincent’s Private Workday by 5pm Friday 24th November 2023
Eligible applicants must have completed a Bachelor of Nursing Program or equivalent no earlier than 1st June 2023.
All (Local /Interstate/New Zealand/International) applicants need to register and apply via the PMCV Allocation and Placement Service. For information regarding this service, please contact PMCV. Applications are submitted via St Vincent’s Private Hospital Melbourne Workday
All applications must be submitted online via St Vincent’s Private Hospital Melbourne Workday in a PDF format and include:
• A cover letter
• Succinct Curriculum Vitae (no more than three pages) including phone and email address
• Two referees. One from second or third year placements (from an adult acute placement of two weeks or longer) and the second can be your current manager
• A certified copy of your academic transcript (including legend)
• Two certified acute medical or surgical ward clinical assessment tools (eg. ANSAT).
• Clinical Tools must be two weeks or longer and either from second or third year placements undertaken in Australia or New Zealand. Please upload the entire document, not just the summary. We require every page of the document including notes pages.
• We do not accept clinical assessment tools from Mental Health, Community or Theatre (we will accept a PACU clinical tool) nursing placements.
• All students are required to include their PMCV number
Certification of documents
Most universities now use electronic documentation such as Pebblepad, SONIA, eQuals for clinical placement assessment and academic transcripts. Online documents are kept securely by the university so these can be submitted without further certification. The documents must be uploaded in pdf format. Please do not provide links.
Universities that have documents that are handwritten must be certified prior to scanning and uploading.
Please ensure you follow the AHPRA guidelines for document certification available via this link -Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency - Certifying Documents (ahpra.gov.au).
The Graduate Program Coordinator will review all applications.
If you have been selected for an interview you will be contacted via telephone.
The earlier your application is received, the more flexibility you will have in selecting a suitable interview time. Aim to have your application in at least a week prior to the closing date.
If you have not been selected for an interview you will receive notification via Workday.
Our interviews will commence in mid-July.
For further information:
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to Carolyn Price, Graduate Nurse Coordinator on 03 9411 7763 or via email SVPHM.Education.Programs@svha.org.au
Frequently Asked Questions
Whilst you are preparing your application, we are more than happy to answer any questions you may have, via phone or email.